Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Power of Words

I've been in love with words ever since I was a little girl.  I loved being read to as a child, snuggled up and listening with fascination.  And it's clear from old home movies that I loved to hear myself talk as well.  Some of those movies have become Stephens' family quotes :)  I wrote a blog post on this same topic a couple years ago.  As a writer, you'd think I'd be a very articulate person, and I do have my good moments.  But it is often very hard for me to find the "right" word for the thought/feeling/emotion/idea I'm trying to convey.

Tonight I got together with friends from my childhood.  And even though our lives have branched off in completely different directions, even though we haven't all been together at once in two years, all it ever takes is a few words and we are instantly reconnected to one another.  We each arrived tonight with different joys and challenges, and through the exchange of words, we were able to uplift, encourage, comfort, and inspire one another.

Sometimes a conversation can change your entire life.  The words we use can start a new friendship, open up a new opportunity, turn us down another road, reveal new insight, lead us to love, solve problems, build relationships, heal wounds, and teach.  What words have made a difference in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment